IWS Products — Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Where can I take my vehicle for repairs?
Any licensed repair facility. For major engine or transmission concerns, we recommend the vehicle’s dealership or AAMCO transmissions.

Can I reach someone at claims 24/7?
We have coverage 24 hours a day, 7 days a week; including holidays.

Is my vehicle eligible for coverage?
Plans are available based on the year and mileage of your vehicle. You can purchase coverage on vehicles with up to 150,000 miles on the odometer (not all makes and models are eligible for coverage).

Coverage: Do you have coverage for Hybrid cars?

Do you cover tires and maintenance?
No, tires and maintenance (e.g. oil changes) are not covered.

What classifies wear and tear?
Wear and tear is when a part has worn beyond the manufacturer’s tolerances and includes gradual reduction in operating performance. Coverage on an IWS VSA does include wear and tear failures.

If my radiator or engine needs to be repaired and the oil or coolant is depleted, will I be responsible for paying for replacing the fluids?
When the repair of the component is an authorized repair, the fluids will be replaced as part of the repair.

Will I be reimbursed for paid repairs or does the VSA pay the repair facility directly?
The repair facility determines the repair and obtains an authorization number. Once the repair is completed, the charges are billed to an IWS corporate credit card.

What is my responsibility to the repair shop once my vehicle is being repaired?
IWS pays the repair facility with a corporate credit card, and the repair facility is paid at retail repair facility listed rates. You will be responsible for any deductible and non-covered repairs.

If I am not satisfied with the repairs and still experiencing problems with the vehicle, what is my course of action?
As an IWS member, the member service and claims department will work with the repair facility to resolve any issues. IWS works directly with the repair facility to resolve any issues, eliminating any need, concern, stress or frustration for our IWS members and customers.

Am I covered if I travel out of my home state?
Yes, an IWS VSA has nationwide protection for your vehicle whether you are in-state or traveling out of state.

What happens if I am traveling and my car breaks down and needs servicing overnight and/or parts are unavailable for a few days?
IWS’ VSA will reimburse you for any travel expense (food & lodging) up to $300 and car rental up to 10 days/$500 depending on coverage.

If my car needs to be repaired over some time and I need to rent a car, do you refer car rental companies?
IWS will reimburse you for car rentals for up to 10 days or $500 dollars in total depending on coverage. IWS maintains a direct bill relationship with Enterprise Rent-A-Car, but the decision on which car rental company to use is yours.

Do you cover towing?
Yes, our service reimburses for towing up to $100 with a covered repair.

What happens to the warranty coverage if I sell my car before the end of the warranty?
There are two options available to you:

If you trade the car in, you can call us and receive a prorated refund for the unused portion of the remaining months/years. For example, if you trade the car in during the second year (23rd month) of a four-year plan. Your refund will be prorated based on the approximate 25 months of the remaining months.

If you sell the vehicle to an individual the VSA can be transferred to the person who is purchasing the car for a small fee of $40.

What is a bumper-to-bumper warranty?
Your automobile insurance covers bumpers; bumpers are external to your vehicle and not covered. IWS Named Exclusion coverage is our most comprehensive service plan. It covers eligible vehicles almost entirely. Our Named Exclusion plan covers every mechanical, electrical and electronic failure. The reason this coverage is called Named Exclusion is that there are too many parts/components to list. Examples of listed exclusions: any required maintenance by the manufacturer, any pre-existing condition, any aftermarket products not installed by the manufacturer, and external items (body parts) that are covered by your automobile insurance, such as bumpers, glass, hood, fenders, door panels, etc.

Do replacement components/parts include the use of remanufactured or like new and quality (LKQ) parts?
IWS’ ability to use remanufactured or LKQ parts is a standard clause in every extended warranty. A remanufactured part is a product rebuilt to specifications of the original manufactured product using a combination of reused, repaired and/or new parts. A LKQ component is a recycled part that has “like” mileage (in most cases far less) than the unit being replaced. We require that these units be out of the same “kind” year, make and model as the covered vehicle. “Quality” functioning order with a warranty. Both types of units carry a warranty, generally with a minimum of 12 months/12,000 miles.

To find out more about how IWS can assist in the success of your credit union, please call us at 800.333.3028.